- Collections Systems Manager (IWM Duxford)
This is a permanent role under IWM Trading Company.
This vacancy is open to external and internal candidates. For new internal candidates (this includes staff employed directly by IWM and agency workers temping with IWM) to be eligible for vacancies you must have successfully completed your probation period or have been working with us for 6 months.
About the role
You are a collections systems manager, using your specialist database systems skills to ensure that IWM’s staff are fully supported with a robust and effective collections management system and the reports, tools and training they need. You will help us continue to develop by recommending appropriate system and process solutions to deliver change, by modelling existing workflows and using your knowledge of collections management principles and concepts.
Together with the London-based Collections Systems Manager you are the main point of contact for users of IWM’s collections management system (we use Adlib), and digital asset management system (DAMS). You will ensure effective integration with other systems and our procedural framework.
By working closely with IWM staff, the system suppliers and the IT department you ensure that our systems work together in an integrated manner to support IWM projects. You will work with the IT department on the infrastructure of Adlib and the DAMS and be responsible for their development and the implementation of new functionality within the systems.
You will be enthusiastic about the opportunity to make positive changes to the database and provide great service to all your internal customers.
- Acting as an ambassador and advocate for the systems, ensuring staff buy in and resolving real obstacles to their use of the systems.
- Scoping, testing and implementing new Adlib and DAMS functionality and system update, which promote digital ways of working and more efficient workflows for staff.
- Liaising with suppliers, IT staff and key stakeholders to identify, install and test appropriate updates to Adlib and DAMS with due recognition of business critical objectives and deadlines.
- Working collaboratively to ensure the integration of corporate collections databases, integrity of the data, maintenance of security, appropriate controls for disaster recovery of the database, eg. ensuring that an appropriate backup regime is being maintained, ensuring the maximum availability and performance of the systems.
- Ensuring Adlib is configured to fit specific functional needs across IWM’s branches and departments informed by the relevant standards supporting collections management activity.
- Ensuring the security of the database by the definition and implementation of access controls to the data based on analysis of staff roles within the collections directorate by specifying user roles, accounts and access levels for each functional area of the database.
- Ensuring that agreed IWM data standards are supported in Adlib across IWM.
- Training users and answering questions relating to the database’s functions and capabilities and the key collections management concepts such as accountability.
- Working with IWM’s IT department to plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorised damage, modification or disclosure.
Demonstrable understanding and knowledge of how to apply collections management concepts and principles, and procedures such as location and movement control, acquisition etc.
Demonstrable experience of the application of information management software systems and database development, preferably in a museum or similar environment
Recent experience of managing a complex database
Knowledge of XML; proficient in using MS Word, Excel and other software for data editing and management, including data imports
Able to carry out accurate data retrieval from multiple datasets in database systems
Familiarity with common tools of data management – thesaurus, authority files, term lists etc.
Experience of providing training to end-users
Educated to degree level in a relevant subject
Apply via our online application form. Click apply at the bottom left of this page.
Please note we do not accept only CV’s, you will be required to fill in an online application form.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 9 am, Monday 24 June 2019.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 3 July 2019 at IWM Duxford. Please note that the interview date(s) has been specifically chosen according to the availability of the panel. You are advised to keep this date free if you are interested in this vacancy. We are unable to reschedule interviews.
We regret that if you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date your application, in this instance, has been unsuccessful.
IWM is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.